Thursday, June 20, 2013

Another media is heard from

I have worked primarily with beads, but other media has been used to create ornaments as well.  I have created several 3-dimensional designs from plastic canvas.  Being able to customize the ornament by changing the fibre can change not only the color but the texture of the finished product.  I enjoy working with plastic canvas for its ability to hold its shape and the variety of stitches which can be incorporated into the design.  So far I have been using a simply cross-stitch for most of the ornaments.  The last ornament was done in pink and purple and was constructed from three squares of plastic canvas.  I have also done the same shape but in a fleur-de-lis pattern.






I have also used rings of the plastic canvas to create chandeliers.  The first was completed in the late 1990s using fringe, 3 concentric rings of plastic canvas, chain, a bead cap and trim to hide the stitches.  One month the theme in the exchange group was fuzzy, so I used eye-lash yarn to create an ornament.  I always create 2 copies of the ornament for exchanges so I can send one to my partner and can keep one for myself.  I decided to “gild the lily” for mine by adding chain and beaded drops.























October 2011 the theme was “Pink” in honoring “Breast Cancer Awareness Month” and that month I used plastic canvas to create an “Awareness Ribbon” ornament, as well as the miniature for the month.


No comments:

Post a Comment