Saturday, May 18, 2013

An Introduction

An introduction should be in order.  I started making Christmas ornaments in 1976 as part of art class my sophomore year.  For the following 3 years, the teacher continued to have the class make ornaments between Thanksgiving and Winter Holiday Break.  It stuck.  Christmas ornaments is my primary hobby but has expanded in both techniques and media.  Now I also work in Jewelry as well as expanded to work from miniature to large installations.  I have worked in fibre, wood, stained glass, acrylic plastic, glass, lapidary, and metal work, but seem to return to beadwork as the nexus for my creativity.  Once a week I will be posting images of work I have done, as well as new projects.  Last year I did 2 miniature trees:  Starting with 2-foot table top trees, I went through and added 130+ mini lights to the tree and then proceeded to make garland and ornaments scaled to the tree.  The largest ornament was 2.5 inches tall, the smallest being 6 mm.  When finished each tree had over 180 ornaments.  This year, I will be learning to make feather trees in the German tradition.  While making the feather trees, I will continue to make ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment